We are extremely proud of the Pomme d’Or’s rich history. Originally built in 1837, the Pomme d’Or hotel is part of the fabric of Jersey life. Our position overlooking Liberation Square harks back to 1945, when the Union Jack was raised on the balcony of the hotel, marking the Liberation of Jersey from the German forces.
From Victor Hugo’s stay in 1852 to Dame Vera Lynn’s opening of the Liberation Suite in 1990, we feel privileged to have welcomed and looked after so many wonderful guests. We continually research the history of the hotel, and welcome information and photos which can add to the history told here.
Work commenced to build the Esplanade, the Weighbridge and Commercial Buildings, Jersey's new centre of trade. The Pomme d’Or site was purchased by the Pellier family. Phillipe Pellier was a corn and flour merchant of high repute who owned several mills and a large store to the east of the current Café Bar. At the rear, in Wharf Street, stood Pelliers Livery Stables and a house which they rented to Mr. Dates, who ran “Dates Boarding House”.1802
The Pelliers gave up the stables, demolished them and constructed a hotel: the Pomme d’Or Hotel was named after the well known cider produced at No. 4 Wharf Street. The hotel was run on continental lines under the supervision of Madame Boisnet, and soon won the patronage of the merchants along the Quay, the visiting captains and their officers.1837
Victor Hugo stayed in the hotel.1852
A centenary banquet to commemorate the Battle of Jersey was held at the hotel.1881
The corn and flour store was demolished after the death of Esther Le Boeuf, who had inherited the store from her husband Phillipe Pellier. Wiliam Pellier then inherited the property.
Monsieur Mourant took over as manager, and during his time the current Weighbridge site was built.1882 - 1886
Charles Pellier inherited the property following the death of his father William. Charles joined the Boule d’Or Hotel, situated on the corner of Conway and Wharf Street, to the Pomme d’Or.1895
Up to the start of the Great War the hotel flourished, particularly with French visitors. 15,000 – 18,000 would stay each season, for a week or longer.1914
The hotel deteriorated during the war and was derelict in the 1920s.1914-1930
George & Ada Seymour (pictured above), bought, renovated and re-opened the Pomme d’Or once more. At that time the entrance was in Wharf Street, flanked on both sides by inns, “The Three Tuns” and “The Navy Hotel”.
The hotel has been under the continuous ownership and management of the Seymour family ever since.1930
The Hotel's Centenary Anniversary was marked by further developments. The two inns were purchased and incorporated into the hotel, while parts of it were demolished and rebuilt in 1938.1937-1938
The hotel’s prime site overlooking the Harbour, proved to be an ideal location for the German Naval Headquarters during the Second World War, when Jersey was occupied by the German forces.1940-1945
The Union Jack was raised on the balcony of the Pomme d’Or to mark the Liberation of Jersey from the German forces. The hotel re-opened and continued to thrive.1945
Further major modernisation refurbishments took place as tourism boomed in Jersey during the 1980s.1981
Dame Vera Lynn opens the Liberation Suite, after further major refurbishments, on the 45th anniversary of the Liberation of Jersey.1990
The Queen attends the 60th Liberation Anniversary, coinciding with the refurbishment of the hotel façade.
Image courtesy of the Jersey Evening Post2005
Each year on May 9th the Liberation Anniversary is celebrated by the re-enactment of the Liberation celebrations with the surviving liberating forces. The Union Jack is raised from the Pomme d'Or balcony as part of the celebrations.2015
Today we have the fifth generation of the Seymour family working within the company, and it remains very much a Seymour family business.
Pictured here are Robin Seymour (George & Ada’s Son), Chairman of Seymour Hotels; Rita Seymour (Robin’s wife), a Director; David Seymour (Robin & Rita’s Son), Managing Director; Tina Seymour (David’s wife), Seymour Hotels Housekeeping Director; Sue Armes (Robin & Rita’s Daughter), a Director; and Stephanie Seymour (David & Tina’s Daughter), Seymour Hotels Marketing Co-ordinator.
Lawrence Seymour (George & Ada’s Son), a Director, is not in the picture.